Friday, January 4, 2019

Book Review (OT): Tears before Exaltation (med students, TN)


Tears before Exaltation, by Fidelis Mkparu (Hatchette, 2018, 324 pages, $22.95)


(Exaltation: a feeling or state of extreme happiness)

Yes, Of Course

Tears before Exaltation brings us into the world of hospitals turning medical students into doctors along with all the backbiting and bullying it entails, at least in the imagination if not in reality.

The title tells it all: that one must experience a lot and work hard before the fruits of one’s labor are realized. Pretty obvious.

Choppy Writing Style

Author Fidelis Mkparu uses a choppy writing style with elementary sentence structures and, of course, short sentences so that the reader may think him a non-native speaker - except for numerous literary words (big words) interspersed throughout, perhaps added by the editor.

A Tennessee Setting

Set in two Tennessee towns, one on each side of the state, Tears characterizes both so well that you will think you are there and may even want to visit.

Choppy Organization

This reviewer was not able to identify with the characters and she tried, being quite knowledgeable with medical training. Conversations and reactions did not seem realistic. Ditto with the plot.

A change occurs in the character development, pace and plot about ¾ of the way through as if someone else finished writing the book – a good author. However, the change in plot and one character’s personality did not follow naturally from what went on before.

The Fans

Give this book a try! You just might like it, if you can skim over the superficial plot, characters and style. Read it fast (chop, chop).

Chop, Chop

As for me, I don’t think I will try Mkparu’s other books* even though the descriptions are intriguing: I wonder if they all are partially autobiographical in any way. However, I will remember his name and if I come across a non-fiction article, I will give it a try. I suspect I will meet up with his works soon: he also writes about cardiology, which I suggest he stick to (without having read that genre of his).

*Award-winning Love’s Affliction (2015)
and My Last Summer with You: No Fanfare for a Withered Rose (2012)

1 comment:

  1. I read your review of Tears Before Exaltation. Let me thank you for spending your valuable time to read my book. I am grateful for your critical comments. I'll learn from them.

    ReplyDelete