Tuesday, January 26, 2021

Book Review: Walk Two Moons

Walk Two Moons, by Newberry award-winner, British-for-while Sharon Creech (HarperCollins, 1994/2019, 280 pages, ages 8-12) Special read-aloud edition (and discussion guides abound)


This children's book was gifted to me: it is a story of a trip to Idaho, where I am from, which drew me in from the get-go. I found out later, towards the end of the story within a story, that the characters' final destination is Lewiston*, Idaho, but first they stop off in nearby Coeur d'Alene, a few miles from where I grew up.

Not a Road Trip Movie, But a Road Trip Book!

I fell in love with Walk Two Moons when I read the dedication: "For my sister and brothers: Sandy, Dennis, Doug, Tom, with love from The Favorite."

Thirteen-year-old Sam and her grandparents set off on a quick cross-country drive in search of Sam's mother (so she thinks) and find stories and life lessons and love and endings along the way.

Of Course, It Has a Dog

Grandma: "You've told me all I need to know. I figure if you treat a dog that good, you'll treat me better. I figure if that old beagle Sadie loves you so much, I'll probably love you better, Yes. I'll marry you." (-. 77)

Author Sharon Creech

I fell in love with Walk Two Moons when I read that the author was British and for nearly 20 years lived in England nine months of the year, but on Lake Chautauqua** (New York) during the summer. 

The author even 'got' most of the Idaho parts correct (for a Brit).

Author Sharon Creech writes for a wide readership. Youngsters will love the true-to-life descriptions while adults will remember that's the way their childhood was (but they had forgotten) and will savor some other tidbits that fly above the heads of kids.

The Story

The story takes place in actual places: a farm in Kentucky, a town in Indiana, the eventual cross-country road trip of unlikely companions. 

Samanaca (Sam) wants to make the trip in time for her mother's birthday (and bring her back east) - her mother had left for (run away to?) Lewiston a year ago and Sam misses her dearly, particularly since the postcards have stopped coming. She entertains the 'grands' along the way with her story within a story. Sort of like peeling an onion - something for everyone, which is why I believe Walk Two Moons should be recommended not for ages 8-12 but for ages 8+ (which includes adults).

The Title

The title, Walk Two Moons, comes from a saying we are familiar with in various forms such as "you will never understand another person until you first walk a mile in his shoes." Creech's book has references to Indians/Native Americans in several chapters: the 'two moons' refers to a period of time. Just as a mile is a measure of distance (or time), two moons is two months.

And Finally

Walk Two Moons is what we call a 'coming of age' story - about a girl coming to terms with growing up, accepting the death of someone close and finding her first crush.

Caveat: This book was given to me, though the youngsters around me loved it just as much as I did but for different reasons. Any book with a slew of reader's guides is worth the time and Walk Two Moons has several. Worth the read!

*The Lewiston Hill is famous and dangerous as highway 10 travels down into the valley of Lewiston, Idaho -  an incredibly dangerously steep road with hairpin turn after hairpin turn, 64 curves in 10 miles and 2756 feet elevation. Imagine a 13-year-old girl driving that alone at night. 

**Chautauqua is a large lake in New York state, the name of a county in New York and also a summer experience. More than 100 years of mostly summer 'family camp' activities for 10,000 each week. Opera, golf, tennis, movies, Shakespeare, food, sailing and swimming, lectures (and the Capitol Steps) pottery and cooking classes, music, etc. The campus has streets (and old Victorian homes) but is a walking-only town.

No comments:

Post a Comment