Thursday, August 27, 2026

Book Review: Life is Golden: What I've Learned from the World's Most Adventurous Dogs (golden retrievers love camping)

Life is Golden: What I've Learned from the World's Most Adventurous Dogs, by Andrew Muse with Kicker Dog (Gibbs Smith [To enrich and inspire humankind], $10.99, 2022, 144 pp)


Every once in a while I see a photo book of goldens (or labs) doing what they do best: accompanying their human photographer (on camping trips) - and I just have to have that book, to drool over the photos. Whether of the mountains in the distance (that I miss) or the gorgeous goldens, I won't say, but goldens are very photogenic. 

Life is Golden is one such book that I bought on a whim. Or, rather, it took me three hours in the bookstore to walk out with it and a few other books, which is why I don't often frequent bookstores in person - I can break the bank and have trouble carrying them all out to my car in one trip!

I took a long time reviewing this book because I didn't want to let it go (I donate the books after I review them).

Plotless Plot

There is no plot! Just a story of the travels of a man and his dogs and some of the lessons he learned along the way and the people they met and the places they visited around the country (mostly mountains) and the (extreme) sports they participated in - both man and dog - from the oceans to the mountains and Alaska to Ohio and hang gliding to snowboarding - and glaciers along the way.

The trip started with Golden Retriever Booter in Utah and finished with Golden Retriever Kicker (also in Utah) but along the way, author Andrew Muse grows up (though he started the adventure in his 20s) and also found a career - that of a content creator - of a podcast called Tiny Home Adventure, first sponsored by Go Pro and lasting three seasons (so far).

Most of the photos star Puppy Kicker and scenery, though Muse does appear in a few himself.

Love the font and I want so many of the photos on my wall as posters! However, not all the photos were identified and I would have loved a map of their travels.

No comments:

Post a Comment